Frequently Asked Questions
What is SILK?
As explained here, SILK is a fungible ERC-20 utility token that is primarily used as a spam filter when minting NFTs in Webaverse.
How do I get LAND?
LAND currently isn't for sale at the moment, we will announce when it is. However, there is also a creator program for artists of all backgrounds to bring their ideas into season 1 and earn a slice of the virtual world.
How do I buy stuff?
You can purchase native digital items for Webaverse from Opensea. Support for 3rd party NFTs will be added in the future.
- Assets on Ethereum mainnet: https://opensea.io/collection/asset
- Assets on the Matic blockchain: https://opensea.io/collection/asset-v3
Where are assets hosted?
Assets are hosted on S3 and IPFS, the Interplanetary File System. In the future we plan to integrate Filecoin and ARweave for long-term decentralized storage.
Is there a VR mode?
Yes! Through the WebXR API we are able to deliver a VR mode experience through web browsers. For devices such as the Oculus Quest you can visit webaverse.link in Oculus browser to login easier.
Note: VR support is still pretty experimental, we will give an ETA when we feel confident about a stable release.
Do I need a crypto wallet to participate?
Nope! You will be automatically given an Ethereum address when joining a discord server with the bot or signing into the website. Transactions are free on the sidechain. At any time you can setup a wallet and transfer NFTs and fungible tokens to it.
What's different about Webaverse?
Webaverse technically differentiates itself from other virtual worlds in a number of different ways. When comparing to the big platforms like Roblox or Fortnite, the obvious different can be that Webaverse is open source and runs in a traditional web browser whereas those games are closed source native applications a user has to install. Another big difference is related to input output. For example, it's easy to import or export your custom avatar for Webaverse wheras its restricted for Roblox or Fortnite.
Lastly, whereas most assets and account systems in traditional gaming platforms are centralized, Webaverse utilizes distributed file-hosting solutions such as IPFS and blockchain for assets and identity to be truly owned by the users. This enables users to take control of their data and the ability to sell their goods on 3rd party marketplaces.
There's a range of qualities that set Webaverse apart from other blockchain virtual world projects like Decentraland, Cryptovoxels, Somnium Space, and The Sandbox.
- Webaverse is fully open source, like Decentraland, but unlike the others.
- Unlike Decentraland, Webaverse uses a world class open source 3D library three.js instead of closed source Unity. VR is also supported.
- Webaverse has the most advanced avatar system on the web and supports custom avatars like Somnium Space. The models are based on VRM, the most interoperable open avatar file format.
- Webaverse is exploring user-centric features first like avatars, wearables, and pets, before LAND.
- Webaverse overworld map is designed forwards and backwards along the street, similar to scrolling a webpage.
- Webaverse can remotely render content from the other blockchain virtual worlds for seamless interoperability.
- Webaverse utilizes a sidechain for fast and free transactions that is interoperable with other chains.
- Webaverse experience extends into other platforms such as Discord where you have an interface to the world and blockchain via a bot.